Skip to content
Minor Update 25 July 2021: Redo Progress 2
Posted on
By dre

Good day folks! This is just another minor update on the progress of porting Guardian’s Guide. If you’re unfamiliar with what’s going on please check this post and then the last minor update. Speaking of the last minor update, I mentioned I plan to make a few changes to the GUI as I port the game. In the screen shots below I will show you what I meant.

The old GUI is on the left and the new GUI is on the right.

For the budget and personality menu I made quite a few visual changes. Originally, the personality menu wasn’t managed by the framework. It was a custom menu I had to manually call, control and update along side the framework. With this port it is fully maintained by the framework as all the other menus. As I mentioned in previous post, 100% of all the menus will be controlled by the framework. I am on course to making that a reality.

If you are wondering why the personality menu wasn’t originally controlled by the old framework, before I started using the framework I was creating the entire game from scratch. Once I switched over I was going through a learning process and I decided not to recreate the menu as I was having serious problems creating effective menus at the time.

With the new framework came a much easier approach to making menus. So not only have I ported the personality menu, I made some changes. The new menu can now be used with keyboard and controller and hopefully it is easier to read and understand. Fyi, I decided to move Job proficiency under the Jobs menu.

As for the budget menu, not much has changed. But there is one key thing I wanted to do in the old framework that just wasn’t possible (more or less) until now. I am able to add additional information to any item, equipment, person or thing. With this, I can separate text descriptions from usage effects. More than anything this provides organization and opens up many more possibilities for design and customization.

This is the supply menu. I haven’t shown this off before as there isn’t much to show yet but, here it is. The old GUI is on the left and the new GUI is on the right.

You will see more of this “separation” in the GUI redesign in future updates. With each new GUI I redo I am thinking of ways to improve or organize in hopes of making things better for the viewer.

The overall progress is going well. I am still running into bugs but I haven’t had to redo any data with the new beta updates. I would say I’m about 15% done with the port. (those may be conservative numbers but I’m hoping all the custom scripts and dialogue will be easy copy/paste ports)

I will try to get back on the weekly train with these updates so expect a new update next sunday at the latest. Until then, stay well friends.



Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments