Skip to content
Minor Update 17 July 2021: Redo Progress 1
Minor Update 17 July 2021: Redo Progress 1

Howdy.

It’s been a while but I’m here to deliver a minor update. As I mentioned in Moving Forward 2 – Future Plans, I am currently porting Guardian’s Guide into a newer framework. This requires me to redo pretty much everything. The good news is I don’t have to recreate anything since I’ve already done it. It’s mostly glorified copy and pasting.

Old build is on the left and new framework is on the right. Guardian’s Guide is pretty data dense now that I think about it. lol

Unfortunately, there are two things that are giving me problems and are causing slow downs. One, the new framework is very early beta. I am running into problems daily. This was entirely expected and I decided to move forward knowing this. The good news is I am working closely with the creator and getting the problems taken care of as I work. Two, since it’s early beta the creator is using this opportunity to make data wiping changes. It has happen once already and I’m sure it will happen again. This will require me to redo (copy/paste) my data again. This too was already known before I decided to move forward with the porting. I’ll just deal with it when the time comes.

More than anything I want to get through all the gui porting. (considering most of my game is gui) The potential data loss is no big deal at this point of development.

Most of the data is 1 to 1 copying, but the custom logic and systems are another story. Since I have more elbow room with this new framework I am converting scripts I created in my old build to work entirely in the framework. This means I have to think up new and unique methods to duplicate the behavior of the old scripts. Utilizing the many new functions of the framework has been fun and the improved work flow is fantastic. I am very happy I made the switch.

Old build on the left, on the right is my current point of porting. The gui is the same but the text uses a different renderer. It took me quite of bit of tinkering to make it look right. (one of the many reasons this is taking time)

As of right now I am about 10% done with the porting. This isn’t so bad considering the beta is a little over a week old. The biggest slow downs are the bugs and the gui. I have to redo all the gui manually. Fortunately, it is MUCH easier and I have a LOT more freedom. Oh yeah, I will be making a few minor changes with this redo. More on that in a future update.

Stay well friends!

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments