Skip to content
Battle & Exploration: Year 6, As Expected
Posted on
By dre

(A preview of a map during the later half of year 6.)

Just as I predicted in the previous post, I now sit at about 50% completion of the 6th year. This is a 25% increase from last week. It may not sound like a lot but year 6 is dense with content, battles and dialogue. I am very happy with the amount of progress I have made in the past week.

My acceleration has a lot to do with how increasingly efficient I’ve become with every aspect of the mapping process. I’ve done everything in my power to decrease the time it takes me from placing the tileset in the game to having every asset fully functional.

For example, do you see the golden “T” shaped asset in the image above? Those are basic treasure objects. Each one gives you a reward if you spend a small amount of vitality. In the first year of the game (when I first began creating maps) I wrote a script for each treasure item. In that script, I had custom events made for each item. This was fine at the time, but once I started documenting and designing the maps after the first year of the game I realized I needed to automate as much as I could.

Fast forward to today, and now each treasure (and most other assets) is controlled in a single script based on the map. In that script, I simply set the reward for each individual treasure (each treasure has a variable/bool) and run a custom function/script that displays a message and adds the reward to the player’s inventory.

This modular approach is how I built the behavior for every object type. (enemies, ground effects, teleportation, etc.) The exception being dialogue events and very custom events that require me to make noticeable changes to my function/scripts. (Year 6 and 7 has a lot of these, hence the slower progress) Any repeatable event has a simple bool(on/off switch) so I don’t have to think about it. If I want the behavior to happen, I flip the switch, or in some cases, I just drop the object on the map and it works all on it’s own.

Doing things this way has greatly simplified map building. It also makes it easier to make changes, fixes, and improvements, all while simultaneously effecting previous objects. I can speed run through map creation without worrying if I am making game breaking mistakes.

Now that I am about 50% done with year 6, I predict I will reach about 75% completion in the next week. 75% means I will have all of the objects in all of the maps fully functional, but I will still have to complete the quest, events, dialogue, and scripts that connect the maps to the game world. (the last 25% of year 6 content)

My actual goal is to reach 100% or at least 90% by next week. That depends on how fast I can complete the remaining maps of year 6. I have 7 1/2 out of 14 done so far. But I know a few of the upcoming maps have a lot of custom events and fuck-huge dialogue. đŸ˜­ I will do what I can.

That’s all for this week, I’ll talk to you all again next week.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments